BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (NBI) saw its
inception on November 13, 1936 upon approval of
Commonwealth Act No. 181 by the legislature. It
was the the brainchild of the late President Manuel
L. Quezon and Jose Yulo, then Secretary of Justice.
Tasked with organizing a Division of Investigation
or DI patterned after the United States Federal
Bureau of Investigation were Thomas Dugan, a veteran
American police captain from the New York Police
Department and Flaviano C. Guerrero, the only
Filipino member of the United States Federal Bureau
On the basis of stiff physical, mental, and moral
standards, 45 men were selected as agents from
among 300 applicants. To complement this investigative
force was a civilian staff composed of doctors,
chemists, fingerprint technicians, photographers,
stenographers, and clerks.
During the Japanese occupation, the DI was affiliated
with the Bureau of Internal Revenue and the Philippine
Constabulary known as the Bureau of Investigation
(BI). Subsequently, during the post-liberation
period, all available DI agents were recruited
by the US Army CIC as investigators.
Since then, the Bureau assumed an increasingly
significant role. Thus, on June 19, 1947, by virtue
of Republic Act No. 157, it was reorganized into
the Bureau of Investigation. Later, it was amended
by Executive Order No. 94 issued on October 4,
1947 renaming it to what it is presently known,
the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).